FRCS gl – Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow.
FRCS ed – Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
FRCOphth – Fellowship of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (London).
ICO – International Council of Ophthalmology
The British Ophthalmology Fellowship is a method that helps physicians excel in ophthalmology practice by following the standards of training, education, research, and innovation.
The British Ophthalmology Fellowship is offered by the following Royal Colleges:
- The Royal College of Ophthalmology, England.
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, its exams are the most difficult, but it is the only way to obtain a consultant degree in England. While the other college’s fellowship only gives a specialist.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow.
It is the preferred path of some doctors, and the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons is evidence that the candidate has a good knowledge of the scientific basis of ophthalmology and has experience and competence in applying that knowledge to patients with common eye diseases, and to be able to manage patients and their eye diseases in a way Independent, safe and professional manner.
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh.
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh offers membership and fellowship. Since 2019, it has started relying entirely on ICO as it accepts its fellowship holders and is neutralized by its membership.
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.
- World Council of Ophthalmology.
The ICO’s International Council of Ophthalmology programs aim to assist promising young physicians from low-resource countries to improve their practical skills and broaden their views of ophthalmology. Colleagues are expected to return knowledge and skills acquired to their countries of origin and participate in programs to maintain vision and prevent blindness.
The importance of fellowship:
- It opens the way for you to work in England with more opportunities than the Egyptian degree.
- It can be equivalent in Egypt with a master’s degree or PhD without a thesis.
- One of the strongest certificates in the specialty and it has acceptance in many countries of the world.
- It helps you to gain more experience, skills، and knowledge, which makes you able to accurately diagnose and deal with the most accurate and difficult cases.
The Royal College Fellowship is an international certificate and is considered one of the highest degrees in psychiatry in the world.